This course concerns different approaches to managing and leading people at work. Many HR initiatives fail to address leadership and performance management since they fail to choose, apply and deploy a consistent theory and subsequent model within the organisation.
Promoting charismatic rather than authentic leadership or cross-cultural rather than servant leadership is not the same. Every organisation must adopt a coherent and well-defined model according to its values and objectives.
Therefore, Human Resource Management professionals must acquire a clear and thorough picture of the leadership models, theories and applications in context.
This module aims to:
- give you an accurate understanding and critically reflect on theoretical, methodological and practical issues surrounding leadership and HRM
- enable you to assess evidence of the relationship between leadership, HRM and individual or organisational outcomes
This module benefits some personal work experience in human resource management and organisational behaviour.
- outline the main approaches to understanding HRM and leadership
- critically evaluate theory, concepts, methods of HRM and leadership
- apply theories and concepts of HRM and leadership to various applied contexts, including your organisation, and critically assess these
- explain some of the practical issues surrounding HRM and leadership
HR managers and specialists, L&D managers and specialists.
Does leadership matter?
- Effect of leadership on individual and organisational performance
- Impact of leadership on employee satisfaction
Leader centred perspectives
- Leadership as a Trait
- Leadership and personality
- Assessing the personality with the BIG5 Questionnaire
- Assess your personality traits and predict your leadership
- Transformational leadership (Bass)
- The effects of transformational and change leadership
- Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire
Contingency models of leadership (basics)
- Path-goal theory
- Leadership substitutes theory
- Situational leadership theory
- LPC – Least preferred coworker
- Cognitive resource theory
- Multiple linkage model
Follower centred perspective
- The Implicit model of leadership
- A relational theory of leadership – Leader-Member Exchange (LMX)
Contemporary models of leadership
- Ethic and Authentic Leadership
- Understanding authentic leadership
- Assessing authentic leadership
- Developing authentic leadership
- Cross-cultural leadership
- Impact of globalisation on leadership
- Regional clustering of globe nations: the global cross-cultural framework
- Identifying the proper leadership style in each cultural area
- SIMULATION: setting up and leading a cross-cultural team in 4 countries: understanding cultural differences and adapting your leadership approach accordingly.
- Servant leadership
- Understanding servant leadership
- Assessing servant leadership
- Developing servant leadership
Power and the Dark Triad
- From Power to Action
- Understanding and use of influence tactics
- The Dark Triad of leader personality: Narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy.
Team leadership and team working
- What is a team?
- The determinant of team performance
- Type of teams
- Team assessment
- Understand Teams by Using the GRPI (Goals, Roles, Processes, Interpersonal Relationships) Model
- The Team Role Inventory
- Team 5 Team Development Stages
- What is
- Why organisations do it
- Elements of Performance Management Systems
- Implementation of PM systems
- Improving performance in individuals and groups
- Trends in Performance Management
The documentation used in the classroom will be made available for consultation to participants through the huract.online LMS (Learning Management System) for one year from the course date.